Does your auto insurance company have a lot of complaints? Will you have difficulty placing a claim, or have a valid claim delayed or denied? Is your company good or bad? Most consumers fail to check the complaint records of their insurance companies. Here I provide complaint information for 23 major auto insurance companies offering coverage in Maine, and rate them based on their Maine complaint record. See the best & worst companies.
Visit my site to get price quotes, complaint statistics, and customer service & claims satisfaction ratings for all the leading auto & home insurance companies in the USA. How is your insurance company rated? Does it have a lot of customer complaints? Find out at my home page and CLICK HERE!
I’m always blogging to help you get the best policies and prices for auto, home, & life insurance, so bookmark or place my website in your favorites!
The Maine Bureau of Insurance website is the source of my information about Maine auto insurance complaint data. I provide the 2010 Maine complaint index (2011 data not available yet) for each car insurance company, but I devised a letter grade system to make it easy to tell an insurance company with a great or good complaint record, from an insurance company with a poor or average complaint record.
Visit my website to see national complaint ratios on auto insurance companies (or to find complaint information regarding homeowners insurance) not on this list.
Here is my grading system. I also list the Maine complaint index number (the lower the number the better the complaint record. A complaint index of “1.00″ is average).
A+ = Insurance companies with complaints 25% or less than the average insurance company.
A = Insurance companies with complaints 50% or less than the average insurance company.
B = Insurance companies with complaints 90% or less than the average insurance company.
C = Insurance companies with complaints from 90% to 110% of the average insurance company.
D = Insurance companies with complaints from 110% to 200% of the average insurance company.
F = Insurance companies with complaints over 200% of the average insurance company. More than twice as much as average!
Consider these grades, along with price and other factors (as listed on my website), when choosing an auto insurance company.
Maine lists the complaint index for each major insurance group of companies. An insurance group is usually a conglomerate of several subsidiary insurance companies. Make sure you know the correct name of the insurance subsidiary company quoting or insuring you, and the insurance group to which it belongs, to check the proper complaint grade.
23 Auto Insurance Companies Ranked from Best to Worst by their 2010 Maine Complaint Ratings.
1. Amica Mutual Insurance Company = A+ (No complaints in 2010)
2. Concord Group (CONCORD GENERAL MUTUAL INSURANCE COMPANY; GREEN MOUNTAIN INSURANCE COMPANY INC) = A (.40)
3. Quincy Mutual Group (PATRONS OXFORD INSURANCE COMPANY) = A (.40)
4. State Farm Group (STATE FARM FIRE AND CASUALTY COMPANY; STATE FARM MUTUAL AUTO INSURANCE COMPANY) = A (.50)
5. Frankenmuth Group (PATRIOT INSURANCE COMPANY) = A (.50)
6. MMG Insurance Company = A (.50)
7. Progressive Group (PROGRESSIVE CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY; PROGRESSIVE DIRECT INSURANCE COMPANY; PROGRESSIVE NORTHERN INSURANCE COMPANY; PROGRESSIVE NORTHWESTERN INSURANCE COMPANY; PROGRESSIVE PREMIER INSURANCE COMPANY OF IL; UNITED FINANCIAL CASUALTY COMPANY) = B (.60)
8. Metropolitan Group (METROPOLITAN CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY; METROPOLITAN GENERAL INSURANCE COMPANY; METROPOLITAN PROPERTY & CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY) = B (.60)
9. Liberty Mutual Group (FIRST LIBERTY INSURANCE CORP; LIBERTY INSURANCE CORP; LIBERTY MUTUAL FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY; NETHERLANDS INSURANCE COMPANY, THE PEERLESS INSURANCE COMPANY) = B (.70)
10. Tower Group (NORTH EAST INSURANCE COMPANY; YORK INSURANCE COMPANY OF MAINE)= B (.70)
11. Main Street America Group (MAIN STREET AMERICA ASSURANCE COMPANY; NGM INSURANCE COMPANY) = B (.80)
12. Allstate Insurance Group (ALLSTATE FIRE & CASUALTY INSURANCE CO; ALLSTATE INDEMNITY CO; ALLSTATE INSURANCE CO; ALLSTATE PROPERTY & CASUALTY INSURANCE CO; ENCOMPASS INSURANCE COMPANY OF AMERICA) = C (.90)
13. United Services Automobile Association Group(GARRISON PROPERTY & CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY; UNITED SERVICES AUTOMOBILE ASSOC; USAA CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY; USAA GENERAL INDEMNITY COMPANY) = C (1.00)
14. Vermont Mutual Insurance Company = C (1.00)
15. Zurich Insurance Group (21ST CENTURY CENTENNIAL INSURANCE COMPANY; 21ST CENTURY PACIFIC INSURANCE COMPANY; 21ST CENTURY PREMIER INSURANCE COMPANY; 21ST CENTURY SECURITY INSURANCE COMPANY; BRISTOL WEST INSURANCE COMPANY; FARMERS INSURANCE EXCHANGE; FOREMOST INSURANCE COMPANY; FOREMOST PROPERTY & CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY; TRUCK INSURANCE EXCHANGE) = D (1.30)
16. Travelers Group (TRAVELERS COMMERCIAL INSURANCE COMPANY; TRAVELERS HOME & MARINE INSURANCE COMPANY; TRAVELERS INDEMNITY COMPANY) = D (1.40)
17. Berkshire-Hathaway Group (GEICO CASUALTY COMPANY; GEICO GENERAL INSURANCE COMPANY; GEICO INDEMNITY COMPANY; GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES INSURANCE COMPANY; NATIONAL LIABILITY & FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY) = D (1.70)
18. Interinsurance Exchange of the Automobile Club = D (1.70)
19. Hanover Insurance Group (CITIZENS INSURANCE COMPANY OF AMERICA; HANOVER INSURANCE COMPANY) = F (2.10)
20. Horace Mann Group (HORACE MANN INSURANCE COMPANY; TEACHERS INSURANCE COMPANY) = F (2.20)
21. Nationwide Corp. Group (NATIONWIDE AFFINITY COMPANY OF AMERICA; NATIONWIDE ASSURANCE COMPANY; NATIONWIDE GENERAL INSURANCE COMPANY; NATIONWIDE MUTUAL FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY; NATIONWIDE MUTUAL INSURANCE COMPANY) = F (2.40)
22. Sentry Insurance Group (DAIRYLAND INSURANCE COMPANY; SENTRY INSURANCE A MUTUAL COMPANY) = D (2.9)
23. Hartford Fire & Casualty Group (HARTFORD ACCIDENT & INDEMNITY COMPANY; HARTFORD CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY; HARTFORD FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY; HARTFORD INSURANCE COMPANY OF THE MIDWEST; HARTFORD UNDERWRITERS INSURANCE COMPANY; PROPERTY & CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY OF HARTFORD; SENTINEL INSURANCE COMPANY LTD; TWIN CITY FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY) = F (3.20)
Now you know how the largest Maine auto insurance companies are rated for complaints, go and shop your car & home insurance. You can get better rates AND better service!
Do you have any questions or commentary about these Maine insurance company complaint ratings? Tell me about it. Please leave a comment on my facebook page. Or, you can e-mail me at email@example.com if you have questions and would like my help. Follow me on Twitter for important insurance consumer news and new blog entries at CarInsWatch.