Does your home, condo, renters, or manufactured home insurance company have a huge amount of customer complaints? Will you have problems placing a claim, or have a valid claim delayed or denied? Is the company insuring your residence good or bad? Most consumers fail to check the complaint records of their insurance companies. This blog post provides complaint information for the fifty-four largest insurance companies insuring homes in Pennsylvania, and ranks them from best to worst, based on their 2010 national home insurance complaint record (Accurate 2011 complaint records are not available yet).
Visit my site to get price quotes, complaint statistics, and customer service & claims satisfaction ratings for all the leading auto & home insurance companies in the USA. How is your insurance company rated? Does it have a lot of customer complaints? Find out at my home page and CLICK HERE!
I’m always blogging to help you get the best policies and prices for auto, property, & life insurance, so bookmark or place my website in your favorites!
With my state reviews, I like to use the state complaint information, to tell you if an insurance company has a better or worse complaint record in your state, compared to competing insurance companies.
Unfortunately, not every state’s insurance department provides state complaint ratios. Pennsylvania is one not providing them. The complaint ratios help to compare insurance companies, to see if the insurance company has a higher than average, or lower than average number of home insurance complaints, adjusted based on the insurance company’s market share.
A state’s department of insurance website is usually a good place to find out consumer information about insurance & insurance companies.
Here is the link to the Pennsylvania Insurance Department Website, which I used as a resource to find the major insurance companies, covering 92.05% of the 2010 Pennsylvania home insurance market.
As I wrote earlier in this blog post, you need to use the complaint ratio to fairly compare an insurance company’s complaint record with another insurance company’s complaint record.
I devised a letter grade system, using the national homeowner insurance complaint ratios for the insurance companies listed in this blog post, to make it easy to tell an home insurance company with a great or good complaint record, from an home insurance company with a poor or average complaint record.
Here is my grading system. I also list the national home insurance complaint ratio (the lower the number the better the complaint record) for each company listed below.
A+ = Insurance companies with complaints 25% or less than the average insurance company.
A = Insurance companies with complaints 50% or less than the average insurance company.
B = Insurance companies with complaints 90% or less than the average insurance company.
C = Insurance companies with complaints from 90% to 110% of the average insurance company.
D = Insurance companies with complaints from 110% to 200% of the average insurance company.
F = Insurance companies with complaints over 200% of the average insurance company. More than twice as much as average!
Consider these grades, along with price and other factors (as listed on my website), when choosing an home insurance company.
Insurance companies frequently have several subsidiary property insurance companies. Travelers has 7 companies on the list below, including Automobile Insurance Company of Hartford, CT., which you would think would be a subsidiary for The Hartford. I list the parent company name in parentheses when it avoids confusion, it’s relevant, & it’s not obvious. All subsidiary companies on this list are insuring homes in Pennsylvania, but not all of them may be selling new home insurance policies. Make sure you know the correct name of the insurance subsidiary quoting or insuring you, to check the proper complaint grade.
If you want to decrease the chance of having a problem with your insurance company, go with the highest ranked property insurance company — even if it costs more. The good news is the best property insurance companies often have very good rates — you can go with a better insurance company AND save money.
54 Top Pennsylvania Insurance Companies Ranked from Best to Worst by Their 2010 National Home Insurance Complaint Records
1. Tuscarora Wayne Insurance Company = A+ (No home insurance complaints in 2010)
2. Atlantic States Insurance Company (Donegal) = A+ (No home insurance complaints in 2010)
3. Harleysville Worcester Insurance Company = A+ (No home insurance complaints in 2010)
4. Motorists Mutual Insurance Company = A+ (.10)
5. Chartis Property Casualty Company (AIG) = A+ (.12) (Chartis specializes in high value homes)
6. Pacific Indemnity Company (Chubb) = A+ (.13) (Chubb specializes in high value homes)
7. Chubb Indemnity Insurance Company = A+ (.17) (Chubb specializes in high value homes)
8. Federal Insurance Company (Chubb) = A+ (.18) (Chubb specializes in high value homes)
9. Great Northern Insurance Company (Chubb) = A+ (.22) (Chubb specializes in high value homes)
10. Cincinnati Insurance Company = A+ (.22)
11. United Services Automobile Association (USAA) = A (.28) (USAA is available only to the military, their family members, & honorably discharged veterans)
12. Farmington Casualty Company (Travelers) = A (.29)
13. First Liberty Insurance Corp (Liberty Mutual) = A (.30)
14. USAA Casualty Insurance Company = A (.30) (USAA is available only to the military, their family members, & honorably discharged veterans)
15. Amica Mutual Insurance Company = A (.32)
16. Foremost Insurance Company Grand Rapids, MI = A (.38) (Foremost specializes in mobile homes)
17. Allstate Indemnity Company = A (.38)
18. State Farm Fire & Casualty Company = A (.44)
19. TRAVCO Insurance Company (Travelers) = A (.44)
20. Liberty Mutual Fire Insurance Company = A- (.49)
21. Pennsylvania National Mutual Casualty Insurance Company= A- (.49)
22. Donegal Mutual Insurance Company = B+ (.52)
23. Erie Insurance Exchange = B (.53)
24. Phoenix Insurance Company (Travelers) = B (.53)
25. Liberty Insurance Corporation = B (.54)
26. Automobile Insurance Company of Hartford, CT (Travelers, NOT Hartford) = B (.56)
27. Encompass Home & Auto Insurance Company = B (.57)
28. Metropolitan Property & Casualty Insurance Company (Metlife) = B (.59)
29. State Auto & Property Insurance Company = B (.60)
30. Peerless Indemnity Insurance Company = B (.65)
31. Keystone Insurance Company = B (.66)
32. Peerless Insurance Company = B (.68)
33. Encompass Indemnity Company = B (.74)
34. Nationwide Mutual Fire Insurance Company = B (.76)
35. Farmers New Century Insurance Company (Farmers Insurance Group) = B (.78)
36. West American Insurance Company (Liberty Mutual) = B- (.88)
37. Allstate Property & Casualty Insurance Company = C+ (.90)
38. Nationwide Property & Casualty Insurance Company = C+ (.90)
39. Encompass Insurance Company of America = C+ (.90)
40. Allstate Insurance Company = C (.99)
41. Philadelphia Contributionship Insurance Company = C (1.00)
42. Goodville Mutual Casualty Company = C (1.04)
43. Travelers Home & Marine Insurance Company = C- (1.10)
44. Cumberland Mutual Fire Insurance Company = C- (1.10)
45. Westfield Insurance Company = D+ (1.19)
46. Harleysville Mutual Insurance Company = D (1.26)
47. Mutual Benefit Insurance Company = D (1.26)
48. Property & Casualty Insurance Company of Hartford (The Hartford) = D (1.30)
49. Lititz Mutual Insurance Company = D (1.53)
50. Hartford Insurance Company of the Midwest (The Hartford) = F (1.61)
51. Travelers Indemnity Company = D (1.72)
52. Millville Mutual Insurance Company = D (1.73)
53. Travelers Indemnity Company of America = D (1.74)
54. Homesite Insurance Company = F (2.14) (Homesite partners with auto insurance companies like Geico, Progressive, Esurance, & GMAC to sell home or renters insurance for them in some states)
Now you know the complaint ratings for the biggest home insurance companies in Pennsylvania. The next step is to get price quotes by shopping your auto insurance & homeowners insurance with ALL the leading insurance companies, you can get a great price AND great customer service & claims handling. Use my website to find all the leading insurance companies, evaluate their customer service, and find the best price for you. Click the ad below and start shopping now!
Do you have any questions or commentary about these Pennsylvania home insurance ratings or rankings? Tell me about it. Please leave a comment on my facebook page. Or, you can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions and would like my help. Follow me on Twitter for important insurance consumer news and new blog entries at CarInsWatch.