Does your auto insurance company have a high number of complaints? Will you have difficulty placing a claim, or have a valid claim delayed or denied? Is your car insurance company good or bad? Most consumers fail to check the complaint records of their insurance companies. Here I provide complaint information for the 25 biggest (by Florida market share) auto insurance companies, and rate them based on their 2010 Florida auto insurance complaint index. I also list another 12 companies with a high number of complaints, when compared to their market share. Find the best & avoid the worst auto insurance companies!
Is your home or auto insurance company better or worse than average? I review all the leading auto & home insurance companies in the USA, using each company’s customer survey results from recent JD Power insurance studies, as well as each company’s complaint record, to determine if a company is performing better than average, average, or worse than average, for customer service, claims, & price. How is your insurance company rated? Is its coverage competitively priced? Does it have a higher than average number of customer complaints? Find out by reading the reviews on my home page by clicking smartshopyourcarinsurance.com.
I’m always blogging to help you locate the best policies and prices for auto, home, & life insurance, so bookmark or place my website in your favorites!
The Florida Office of Insurance Regulation website is the source of my information about market share & complaint data. I provide the Florida complaint index for each auto insurance company, but I devised a letter grade system to make it easy to tell an auto insurance company with a great or good complaint record, from an auto insurance company with a poor or average complaint record.
Here is my grading system. I also list the Florida complaint index number. The lower the number the better the complaint record is for the company. A complaint index of 1.00 is average. Greater than 1.00 is worse than average, and less than 1.00 is better than average.
A+ = Insurance companies with complaints 25% or less than the average insurance company.
A = Insurance companies with complaints 50% or less than the average insurance company.
B = Insurance companies with complaints 90% or less than the average insurance company.
C = Insurance companies with complaints from 90% to 110% of the average insurance company.
D = Insurance companies with complaints from 110% to 200% of the average insurance company.
F = Insurance companies with complaints over 200% of the average insurance company. More than twice as much as average!
Consider these grades, along with price and other factors (as listed on my website), when choosing a car insurance company.
Insurance companies frequently have several subsidiary auto insurance companies. For example, Government Employees Insurance Company is a part of GEICO. Make sure you know the correct name of the insurance subsidiary quoting or insuring you, to check the proper complaint grade.
25 Auto Insurance Companies Rated & Ranked, from Best to Worst, by their 2010 Florida Auto Insurance Complaint Record
1. Travelers Home & Marine Insurance Company = A+ (.0665)
2. State Farm Fire & Casualty Company = A+ (.1174)
3. Depositors Insurance Company (An Allied company) = A (.3001)
4. United Services Automobile Association = A (.3019)
5. Government Employees Insurance Company (A GEICO company) = A (.3302)
6. Progressive America Insurance Company = A (.3346)
7. Allstate Property & Casualty Insurance Company= A (.3636)
8. Allied Property & Casualty Insurance Company = A (.3636)
9. Allstate Fire & Casualty Insurance Company = A- (.3753)
10. Progressive Select Insurance Company = A (.3761)
11. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company = A (.4251)
12. Safeco Insurance Company of Illinois = A (.4317)
13. Allstate Indemnity Company = A (.4609)
14. Geico General Insurance Company = A- (.4832)
15. USAA Casualty Insurance Company = A- (.4840)
16. Mercury Insurance Company of Florida = B+ (.5178)
17. Allstate Insurance Company = B (.6398)
18. GEICO Indemnity Company = B (.6953)
19. Liberty Mutual Insurance Company = B (.7661)
20. Metropolitan Casualty Insurance Company = B (.8125)
21. Infinity Auto Insurance Company = D+ (1.1826)
22. Security National Insurance Company = D (1.2429)
23. Esurance Insurance Company = D (1.3659)
24. United Automobile Insurance Company(NOT a part of USAA) = F (3.1565)
25. Direct General Insurance Company = F (8.4666)
Here are 12 additional companies, not on the list above, with a high number of complaints compared to their market share. I do not list any companies with less than 7 auto insurance complaints in 2010, since some smaller auto insurance companies have a high complaint index with only 1 or 2 complaints. If you are insured with any of the insurance companies listed below, you should seriously consider switching to another auto insurance company.
12 Auto Insurance Companies with a High Number of Florida 2010 Auto Insurance Complaints
1. Progressive Express Insurance Company = D-(1.8415)
2. Kingsway Amigo Insurance Company = F (2.3863)
3. MGA Insurance Company, Inc. = F (3.0509)
4.Explorer Insurance Company = F (5.0106)
5. First Acceptance Insurance Company, Inc. = F (5.4508)
6. GEICO Casualty Company = F (5.5646)
7. Equity Insurance Company = F (5.7923)
8. AssuranceAmerica Insurance Company= F (6.6850)
9. Seminole Casualty Insurance Company = F (6.7910)
10. Ocean Harbor Casualty Insurance Company = F (9.1418)
11. Windhaven Insurance Company = F (10.2376)
12. Bristol West Insurance Company = F (36.7290)
Now you know how the largest auto insurance companies in Florida are rated for complaints, go and shop your car insurance. You can get better rates AND better service!
Many people pay too much for their insurance because they never shop for better rates, or if they do shop, they don’t check the rates of enough companies. For a lot of people, the best auto & home insurance companies are the ones with the coverage they need at a lower price. With auto & home insurance, you don’t get better service or coverage because you pay more. Some of the best companies have competitive rates. Some companies charge twice as much as others for the same coverage. But no single company has low rates for everyone. You have to shop with all the leading companies, to find the company with the best coverage and best price for you. The ad below will take you to links to get online quotes from leading Home, Auto, Health, & Life insurance companies in your area. Choose the type of insurance, put in your zip, and start shopping now!
Do you have any questions or commentary about these rankings? Tell me about it. Please leave a comment on my facebook page. Follow me on Twitter for important insurance consumer news and new blog entries at CarInsWatch.